Job Profile and Description
As the name suggests, an office manager is a professional who manages the operations of the office and ensures that it runs smoothly. An office manager handles a wide range of responsibilities to ensure the smooth functioning of an office. This individual should be equipped with good communication skills and leadership qualities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- The foremost duty of an office manager is to maintain proper office records.
- An office manager has to ensure that there are sufficient supplies in the office such as files, stationery, cleaning and bathroom supplies, etc.
- If there are any changes in the office schedule, policies or procedures, it is the office manager’s duty to communicate the same to the employees.
- Another important duty includes accounting and performing payroll duties.
- It is the responsibility of an office manager to ensure that the employees work in good conditions.
- An office manager may be expected to perform secretarial duties such as answering phone calls, taking appointments, typing documents, filing, etc.
Educational Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum requirement to get a job as an office manager, is to have a college degree in business.
- An office manager has to ensure that all the office policies are properly communicated to the staff. As he has to draw up elaborate reports he should have strong communication skills.
- He should be good at multitasking and confident in project management.
- Knowledge of office software packages like Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. is also expected for this job.
Salary and Range
The salary range for jobs of an office manager largely depends on the educational qualifications, several years of experience, location of job, type of employer and general skills.
The median salary for them in the United States of America is around USD 70,000 per year. However, the average salary for these professionals works out to around USD 44,000 per year. At the time of joining, an office manager with not much experience can get around USD 30,000 to USD 35,000 per year. Those who have seven to ten years of experience can command a salary over USD 55,000 per year.