Job Profile and Description
Sales engineers, often called technical sales support workers, sell computer hardware, software, and services to end users of all sizes. The sales engineer job description includes various facets of marketing fundamentals and knowledge in the technical domain.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for development and delivery of product demonstrations.
- Develop, present, or respond to proposals for specific customer requirements, including request for proposal responses and industry-specific solutions.
- Responsible for representing the product to customers and at field events such as conferences, seminars, etc.
- Provide information needed for the development of custom-made machinery.
- Create sales or service contracts for products or services.
- Recommend improved materials or machinery to customers, documenting how such changes will lower costs or increase production.
Sales Engineers may have from Bachelors, Masters to Post Graduate certifications. However, since this position is concerned with technical sales, engineering knowledge is undoubtedly mandatory. Generally, they work as practicing engineers for a year or two and then they get a diploma or a degree in marketing or business-related courses.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- A solid technical background
- Sound judgement and good business sense
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Resilience and tenacity
- Teamworking ability
- The ability to build relationships with clients quickly
Salary and Range
The median salary of a Sales Engineer is $85,000 per year.