Job Profile and Description
Substitute teacher is a person who teaches students when the teacher, who usually teaches students, is not available due to some reasons. Possible reasons for regular teacher being absent can be leave, health problems etc.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Follows all policies, rules and procedures to which regular teachers are subject and which good teaching practice dictates.
- Remains in assigned classroom until all students have been dismissed for the day.
- Know the whereabouts of children in attendance at all times.
- Attain First Aid and CPR certification and training on blood borne pathogens as required.
- Complete daily anecdotal reports on each child.
- Serve as Teacher in classroom activities.
The requirements vary from state to state for example in California a sub is required to pass the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST) to get assignments as a substitute teacher. The standard qualification requirement for most states is a bachelor’s degree. Some states offer a special substitute teaching license, while others require a full teacher’s license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to maintain effective classroom management strategies.
- Possess problem-solving skills, imagination, patience, reasoning, creativity, judgment, and analytical abilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Possess the ability to plan appropriate educational activities for students when there are no.
Salary and Range
A substitute teacher’s salary, on an hourly basis, can be in the wide range of US$ 10 to US$ 30. Substitute teachers with less than two years of experience can earn between US$ 10 to US$ 14 per hour. Teachers with an experience of around five years can easily earn US$ 15 to US$ 17 per hour. With an experience of around ten years, earning around US$ 20 to US$ 27 per hour would not be difficult for these teachers. Highly experienced substitute teachers with more than twenty years of experience can earn US$ 37 or more per hour.