Job Profile and Description
As the name portrays, a system administrator is an IT expert who is a specialist in overseeing computer setups. System administration is a great career for those of you who are heavily interested in the nitty-gritty of computer systems. Being a career from a technical background, it does attract a good amount of per annum salary.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Introducing new computer systems into current setups for optimum IT functions.
- Troubleshooting IT systems when there is an issue reported by computer users.
- Performing a check to make sure all systems are working fine and up to date.
- Administering the creation, operation, modification, and deletion of username and passwords of employees in the system.
- Implementing security software and tools to ensure maximum security from outside threats.
- Carrying out data backups and administration.
- Installing and maintaining software updates periodically.
Educational Qualifications and Skills
The below mentioned skills are required in order to become a system administrator:
- It is important that system administrators have the talent and ability to learn new technologies and implement them successfully.
- Effective hardware and software problem solving abilities.
- A good system administrator will have excellent problem-solving skills as problem solving is the essence of your profession!
- Besides maintaining the basic working of the system, you will also have to protect it from the attacks of malicious hackers or viruses using firewalls and intrusion detection systems.
- Patience in working with Users and Management
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science
- Certificate courses in software, hardware and networking
Salary and Range
The salary for the position of system administrator depends largely on location of work, educational details and number of years of experience. As per several salary surveys, a system administrator’s average salary is around USD 50,000 per year. However, the median salary is expected to be around USD 70,000 per year. As a senior system administrator, you can easily earn around USD 90,000 per year.